The truth about tithing.

The truth about tithing?

Related image

Back in my days in university I had a friend who was a Christian. I didn’t really understood how devout of a Christian she was. I sort of assumed she was just one of those people who goes to church and then expect us to thing she has a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.It was not until one day we were speaking about how much we would be earning as a professional teacher after our degree programme is completed. She made the statement and I quote “well whatever I earn is minus 10% for God so the remaining can be of use to me.” I never knew what my friend meant then but it stuck with me throughout those years which I have not been living for Christ. Now that I have seen the light I understand what my dear friend was talking about.

So what is tithing, and is it still relevant?.

Tithing is an act of obedience in giving to God’s kingdom 10% of all the increase He has given us. (Malachi 3:10)

There are lots of arguments going around about tithing particularly from Christians. Some believe that tithing is an Old Testament thing, some believe that they are under grace so they don’t have to tithe, some also say it’s a personal thing. The truth is, however one wants to rationalise tithing, it is a commandment which we all must keep. Testament thing. (Matthew 23:23).

The job that we have is given by God, it’s not by our degrees or other qualifications or because the employer liked what we said in the interview.  It’s by the divine favour of the most high God.  We are therefore a caretaker of all that comes into our hands. It is paramount therefore that we go back and pay the 10%  to the source, so the remaining 90% will be of benefit to us.

Why should we tithe?

Before I look at why we should tithe let me first explain that either way we are all tithers. It’s either we are obedient and give God’s kingdom its 10% or we end up using that money to pay for all sort of unplanned, unexpected matters, the normal culprits for this sort is boiler and  car breaking down. Often times they do even cost us more than the 10% we skimped from God.

Malachi 3 6-9 says:

“I the Lord do not change. So you, the descendants of Jacob, are not destroyed. Ever since the time of your ancestors you have turned away from my decrees and have not kept them. Return to me, and I will return to you,” says the Lord Almighty. But you ask, how are we to return? Will a mere mortal rob God? Yet you rob me. But you ask, ‘How are we robbing you? In tithes and offerings. You are under a curse—your whole nation—because you are robbing me.” When we rob God we pay dearly.

Benefits of tithing includes.

  1. Rebuking the devourer in all areas of our lives. This includes health, finances, posterity, and all our physical properties. ( Malachi 3:10-11)
  2. We will be blessed in all we do. ( Malachi 3:12, Due 28:8)
  3. Financial Curses will be averted from our lives because the windows of Heaven would open in our lives. ( Due 28:12 )
  4. You will supernaturally advance in life. (Due 28:7-8,13)

My prayer for us all is that, as we key into the covenant of tithing that the covenant keeping God will indeed bless us with that the benefits connected to tithing. I pray we will also become a wonder to our generation in Jesus might name.

My dear readers, as always I would love to hear from you if you are moved by anything in this post.

Remain blessed

Kerrian N. Adebanjo

 

 

 

 

No Comments

Post a Comment